[openssl-users] End of the line for the OpenSSL FIPS Object Module?

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Fri Feb 27 06:56:07 UTC 2015

I think it was clear enough:

NIST/NSA/CMVP is demanding that OpenSSL change the
definition of*already* "validated" platforms before they
will allow OpenSSL to addnew platforms.

But changing those definitions would invalidate existing
governmentcontracts for delivery of products that used
the OpenSSL FIPS moduleon those platforms, so the users
that actually need the FIPS validationwill be hurt
either way.

For example, if company X has an existing contract where
they promisethat the foo system they delivered to some
US Government agencyuses only crypto code which was
validated for "Red Hat EnterpriseLinux 7.0 (x86_64)
running on VmWare ESX", then if OpenSSL obeysthe
demand to change the definition to read "Red Hat
EnterpriseLinux 7.0 (x86_64) running on VmWare ESX
5.1", then company Xwould suddenly be unable to
fulfill their contract, which may evenbe a criminal
offense.  But if OpenSSL refuses to change the
definition, OpenSSL cannot deliver to company X a
new validationfor "Apple OS/X 10.8 (x86_64) running
on raw Apple hardware",so company X cannot get a new
government contract to deliver forthat platform, and
neither can anybody else.

So currently, OpenSSL's realistic options are:

A. Wait for someone to convince the US Government to
   drop thisretroactive requirement.
B. Start over with a new validation for a new FIPS
   module version 3, whichwould have to be modified
   to meet other new demands, whichdidn't exist when
   FIPS module version 2 was originally submitted.
    This would involve 2 variants of the FIPS interface
   code in OpenSSL1.0.3, lots of new code and a very
   very expensive bill to get thecode validated all
   over again.

Enjoy

Jakob
--