[openssl-users] Need help encrypting my ca.key

jack seth bird_112 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 6 02:37:24 UTC 2015

I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what it is.  I am trying to encrypt my private ca key with this command

openssl rsa -in ca.key -out caencrypted.key -aes256

This works fine but the problem is I don't get the original key back when I decrypt it using this command

openssl rsa -in caencrypted.key -out catest.key

catest.key doesn't have the same characters in it as ca.key when looking at them in a text editor.   What am I missing here?