[openssl-users] What does EC_KEY_get0_public_key deliver?

Christian Weber weber at infotech.de
Fri Jan 9 10:55:46 UTC 2015

Am 09.01.2015 um 01:11 schrieb Matt Caswell: On 09/01/15 00:05,
Christian Weber wrote:
>> Thanks Matt, i just assumed the BIGNUMs were the coordinates without any projection - obviously that assumption was wrong - mislead by the funtions name.
>>
> What interests me is to how you accessed the BIGNUMs in the first place!
> The EC_POINT structure is opaque and is defined in an internal header
> file!! Applications shouldn't be reaching into those.
>
> Matt
Actually i imported the internal header so the structure was known. I
marked the import as HACK to access exactly that EC_POINT structure. The
hack was carried out because of the lack of knowledge about how to
access the public key.

I yust did not understand the intention for hiding the EC_POINT
structure and didn't find information about how to access the coordinate
values which i need to compare with coordinates from other sources (XML
Dsig, Element <ds:KeyValue>) or placing them elsewhere.

So could you please give a hint or a pointer to where the intended
access can be found?

BTW: How does one find out which type of ECC is being used (binary or
prime)?
BTW2: Which compact representation of any public key would you recommend
(for program internal comparisons)?

Surely i will ban the internal header from my sources as they are not
neccessary.

Chris