[openssl-users] Behaviour of OpenSSL when CApath or CAfile contains a 'trusted certificate' with all uses rejected

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 21:51:44 UTC 2015

> If anyone can point out what I'm missing I'd be very grateful :)

So I think I may actually know more or less what's going on, now.

Passing -purpose to `verify` seems to really enable only *purpose*
checking. It doesn't actually enable any *trust* checking. I was
thrown for a while because of this, in v3_purp.c:

static X509_PURPOSE xstandard[] = {
        {X509_PURPOSE_SSL_CLIENT, X509_TRUST_SSL_CLIENT, 0, check_purpose_ssl_client, "SSL client", "sslclient", NULL},
        {X509_PURPOSE_SSL_SERVER, X509_TRUST_SSL_SERVER, 0, check_purpose_ssl_server, "SSL server", "sslserver", NULL},
        {X509_PURPOSE_NS_SSL_SERVER, X509_TRUST_SSL_SERVER, 0, check_purpose_ns_ssl_server, "Netscape SSL server", "nssslserver", NULL},
        {X509_PURPOSE_SMIME_SIGN, X509_TRUST_EMAIL, 0, check_purpose_smime_sign, "S/MIME signing", "smimesign", NULL},
        {X509_PURPOSE_SMIME_ENCRYPT, X509_TRUST_EMAIL, 0, check_purpose_smime_encrypt, "S/MIME encryption", "smimeencrypt", NULL},
        {X509_PURPOSE_CRL_SIGN, X509_TRUST_COMPAT, 0, check_purpose_crl_sign, "CRL signing", "crlsign", NULL},
        {X509_PURPOSE_ANY, X509_TRUST_DEFAULT, 0, no_check, "Any Purpose", "any", NULL},
        {X509_PURPOSE_OCSP_HELPER, X509_TRUST_COMPAT, 0, ocsp_helper, "OCSP helper", "ocsphelper", NULL},
        {X509_PURPOSE_TIMESTAMP_SIGN, X509_TRUST_TSA, 0, check_purpose_timestamp_sign, "Time Stamp signing", "timestampsign", NULL},

which clearly associates an X509_TRUST with each X509_PURPOSE. But
then I noticed that nothing ever calls X509_PURPOSE_get_trust(). So it
seems like that's kind of vestigial - the association between purpose
and trust is written in, and there's a function to get the trust for a
given purpose, but nothing *uses* it.

In my test situation, pure purpose checking will never fail any of the
certs in the chain for SSL server purposes, and that's not actually
wrong: they *are* valid as far as the purpose checks go.

When 's_client' fails, it fails when running X509_check_trust() on the
root cert, which is pretty much what you'd expect. That wouldn't
happen with 'verify', not even when you pass -purpose , because
nothing sets a trust from the purpose, so X509_check_trust() never
gets called in this bit of X509_verify_cert():

        /* The chain extensions are OK: check trust */

        if (param->trust > 0) ok = check_trust(ctx);

because param->trust is 0, the default for x509 per the
'default_table[]' in x509_vpm.c. Right? Whereas when using s_client,
param->trust gets set to X509_TRUST_SSL_CLIENT or
X509_TRUST_SSL_SERVER because those are the defaults for 'ssl_client'
and 'ssl_server' in default_table[] (and if you traced that back out
all the way to ssl3_connect(), it seems to always read in the defaults
for either ssl_client or ssl_server from that table, boy that was fun
to figure out).

Basically, it seems like you can't ever cause trust checking to happen
when using 'verify'. I did throw some printf()s into
X509_check_trust() and check_purpose_ssl_server() and indeed I see
both sets of messages when using 's_client', but I only see the
messages from check_purpose_ssl_server() when using 'verify', not the
ones from X509_check_trust().

(I also now see on a careful read of x509_vfy.c that purpose checks
are done on all of the untrusted certs in the chain, which is why
they're not done on the root CA cert, and check_trust() in 1.0.1k is
run on the last cert in the chain - presumably expected to be the root
CA - while in master it's run on all trusted certs in the chain. That
clears up my confusion about exactly what tests were being run on what
certs).

So, I think I more or less understand the behaviour I'm seeing now,
and in practice, I *think* it'd be safe to say that p11-kit's approach
should work correctly in practice, because real-world SSL clients will
be going through the SSL bits and hence getting a correct default
'trust' parameter if they don't their own. Right?

I'm guessing perhaps the PURPOSE -> TRUST associations were *intended*
to enable trust checking in 'verify', but this just never got
finished. They, and the X509_PURPOSE_get_trust() function, both seem
to have turned up in commit d4cec6a13dfb2c1d1ddf66dff499aaf21bbbf002 ,
in 1999:

    New options to the -verify program which can be used for chain verification.    Extend the X509_PURPOSE structure to include shortnames for purposed and default    trust ids.        Still need some extendable trust checking code and integration with the SSL and    S/MIME code.
but I'm guessing that just never quite got finished off?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey