[openssl-users] Read cer file failed

Dave Thompson dthompson at prinpay.com
Tue Jan 20 21:43:47 UTC 2015

Worked for me, although I observe the server is labelling
content-type: text/plain when 2585 (confirmed by 5280)
says application/pkix-cert .  (I resolved 23.13.165.163
after CNAMEing through edgekey and akamaiedge, but
another ISP I can look at got 23.61.69.163. YMMV.)

I note this certificate contains a "control-Z" byte (hex 1A).
Are you possibly running on Windows with the Microsoft
C runtime and opening the file in text mode? Windows C
treats 1A as terminating a text file, to be compatible with
MS-DOS and before that CP/M. Windows C also tries to
use MS-DOS line ending CRLF instead of LF in text files.
To read and write the exact bytes of a file in Windows C,
as is needed for DER objects, use binary mode.