[openssl-users] Cannot clear error OpenSSL Error Stack

Tsakiridis, Antonios antonios.tsakiridis at unify.com
Thu Jan 29 16:09:22 UTC 2015

Hello,

After getting an error in the verify callback of my server saying that the presented client certificate is expired, I cannot clear the openssl error stack.

The reason I want to do that is because I want to be able to override (under specific circumstances) the default OpenSSL behavior that rejects a connection from a client who presents an expired certificate. The way I have tried to do that is to return 1 from the verification callback when openssl passes 'ok' argument as 0 (i.e. failed verification). I would expect that returning 1 signifies success and hence the error stack is cleared, however I found out that calling SSL_get_verify_result() after the verification callback still returns an error. Why is that?

Please note that I'm using openssl 0.9.8

Thanks a lot in advance,
Antonis