[openssl-users] Warnings Compiling openssl 1.0.2d

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 16:56:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Matt Caswell <matt at openssl.org> wrote:

> On 09/07/15 15:47, Tom Browder wrote:
>> I get the following warnings from compiling the latest openssl with gcc 4.7.2:
>>
>> ec_key.c: In function 'EC_KEY_set_public_key_affine_coordinates':
>> ec_key.c:369:26: warning: variable 'is_char_two' set but not used
>> [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
>
> I don't get this by default, but can force it by compiling with no-ec2m.
> I assume that is what you are using? Its harmless but should be fixed.

Yes, you are correct.  I should have been more specific: I am using
openssl version 1.0.2d, and here is my configuration script:

$ cat openssl-config.sh
SSLDIR=/opt/openssl
./config \
    no-ec2m                         \
    no-rc5                          \
    no-idea                         \
    threads                         \
    zlib-dynamic                    \
    shared                          \
    --prefix=${SSLDIR}              \
    --openssldir=${SSLDIR}          \
    enable-ec_nistp_64_gcc_128

>> ecp_nistp521.c: In function 'batch_mul':
>> ecp_nistp521.c:1457:29: warning: array subscript is above array bounds
>> [-Warray-bounds]

> These only get compiled with enable-ec_nistp_64_gcc_128, but even with
> that I don't see these warnings. Perhaps a gcc issue fixed in later
> versions? I'm using gcc 4.9.2

Hm, I've been looking for an excuse to build the latest gcc, now I have.

But I haven't tried clang yet so here goes...

Thanks, Matt.

Best,

-Tom