[openssl-users] Regarding the security of the keys

Mike Mohr akihana at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 07:53:51 UTC 2015

Securing a system against this kind of attack can be done in several ways,
depending on the level of assurance you desire.  You might start out with
Tripwire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Tripwire
http://www.tripwire.org/

You could also implement mandatory access control and ACLs using either
grsecurity or SELinux:

http://grsecurity.net/
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~jcg8f/SELinux%20grsecurity%20paper.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux

Personally I prefer grsecurity, but it is not supported in mainline by any
major distribution that I am aware of.  You'll have to patch, build, and
and support your own kernel image in order to use it.  SELinux is supported
out of the box on CentOS 6 and 7, so it would probably be a good place to
start.

If your concern is solely in the realm of protecting your RSA keys, you
might consider some HSM product from e.g. Yubico:

https://www.yubico.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_security_module

These tiny USB keys store the RSA keys on a secure element which is
physically tamper-resistant.  The key material never leaves the hardware
token.  However, you'd probably have to write a custom provider for
OpenSSL, and the throughput would probably only be sufficient for a very
small amount of traffic.  If you need something that can handle a higher
load, you might consider purchasing one of Cavium's cards:

http://www.cavium.com/overview.html

However, they are 10 gigabit passthrough devices and will unwrap / re-wrap
the SSL session in hardware.  They are not cheap.

Good luck!