[openssl-users] Unexpected error when I untar OpenSSL 1.0.2d

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Fri Jul 31 19:02:20 UTC 2015

On 31/07/15 19:12, mancha wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:21:07PM +0100, Matt Caswell wrote:
>>

>> On 27/07/15 20:50, Pavneet Jauhal wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> When I attempt to untar OpenSSL 1.0.2d tar-ball, I get an
>>> unexpected failure.  Error looks something like this;
>>>
>>> openssl-1.0.2d/VMS/VMSify-conf.pl
>>> openssl-1.0.2d/VMS/WISHLIST.TXT tar: A lone zero block at
>>> 52140
>>>
>>> I only see this with GNU tar.
>>
>> GNU tar is stricter than other tar programs. It expects to see a
>> double zero block at the end of the tar file, and in this case
>> there is only one.
>>
>> This is caused by a bug in a program called tardy which we use
>> during the release process to clean up our tar files. Due to this
>> problem we have now dropped its use so (hopefully) this shouldn't
>> happen again.
>>
>> The error message is actually only a warning. The tar file should
>> have still extracted successfully. It is safe to ignore this.
>
> Hi Matt.
>
> I took a look at tardy after reading your email.
>
> If the OpenSSL project would benefit from continued usage of tardy,
> you can re-build tardy 1.28 after applying my POSIX trailing
> zero-records fix [1].

That's cool. I did try to contact the original dev to get it fixed but
got no response. After that we made the necessary changes so that we
could remove the dependence so I don't think we will put it back in
again now. It's good you've got a fix though for other users who run
into this.

Thanks

Matt