[openssl-users] DTLS fragmentation and mem BIO

Lorenzo Miniero lminiero at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 09:20:34 UTC 2015

> On 05/06/15 08:09, Lorenzo Miniero wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > first of all, apologies if this has been asked before. I've searched
> > archives pretty much everywhere, and only came to partial indications as
> > to how this should be dealt with.
> >
> > The problem I'm facing deals with using DTLS with mem BIOs, as I have to
> > take care of transport myself. Specifically, I've implemented a WebRTC
> > gateway called Janus, which means all the connectivity related stuff is
> > delegated to another library (libnice in this case). This mostly works
> > great (kudos to you guys!), but I have problems as soon as packets
> > exceed the MTU, which can easily happen whenever, for instance, you try
> > to handshake with certificates larger than 1024 bits. I read around that
> > the DTLS stack in OpenSSL automatically deals with this, and in fact
> > this seems to be happening: what isn't working is the BIO mem part of
> this.
> >
> > More specifically, OpenSSL does indeed take care of fragmenting the
> > packets according to what is assumed to be the MTU (1472 by default, or
> > the value as set in s->d1->mtu). The problem is that the mem BIO ignores
> > that fragmentation info completely, and so, when you do an BIO_read,
> > makes available at the application the whole packet anyway. This results
> > in the whole buffer being passed to nice_agent_send (the method libnice
> > exposes to send packets), which means it's just as not fragmenting
> > anything: the packet is too large and the network drops it. You can
> > verify this by using, e.g., a 4096 bits certificate, and capture the
> > DTLS traffic with Wireshark: you'll see that the message is recognized
> > as composed of not only multiple messages, but also fragments.
> >
> > Is there any way I can force the BIO to return the invididual
> > fragments/messages when I do a BIO_read, so that I can send properly
> > sized packets? I've tried looking around but found no insight on how to
> > do that. The only approach that came to my mind was to manually inspect
> > the buffer that is returned, and split messages/fragments myself, but
> > I'd rather avoid delving within the specifics of the protocol if
> possible.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help you may provide me with!
>
> Hmmmm. An interesting problem.
>
> The issue is that a mem BIO has no knowledge of datagram semantics
> (perhaps we need to add something for OpenSSL 1.1.0).
>
> In a dgram BIO each BIO_write translates to a single datagram being
> produced. In a mem BIO you just have a big bucket of memory, and every
> time you get a BIO_write you just add the data onto the end of
> everything that we've go so far, and so the packet boundaries are not
> respected.
>
> How about you create a custom filter BIO? All it would need to do is
> proxy all calls down to the underlying mem BIO. Along the way though it
> could take note of where the packet boundaries are, so when you call
> [...]

Thanks for the very quick answer!

Your suggestion does indeed make much more sense that manually inspecting
the buffer as I thought of, as you don't need to know anything about the
protocol but only to be ready to index the packets you see passing by. I
never tried writing a BIO filter but there's a first time for everything :-)

Just one quick question about this: are messages/packets passed to the BIO
actually splitted, and then just queued by the mem BIO in the buffer, or
can there be cases where a larger than normal buffer is passed to the BIO
anyway, meaning a manual splitting could be needed nevertheless from time
to time?

Thanks,
Lorenzo