[openssl-users] Building OpenSSL with FIPS crypto Module Linker forking too many processes

OpenSSL Curious mseaborn62 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 5 13:23:24 UTC 2015

REPOSTING TO PUSH TO OFFICIAL GROUP
I was wondering if someone has seen this issue before. I am guessing the
problem is on my side because  can replicate it on Debian 8 and Ubuntu 14.4.

I am using OpenSSL 1.0.2a and the crypto module from OpenSSL ecp 2.0.9

env settings
CC=/home/myssluser/workspace/libs/openssl-fips-ecp-2.0.9/fips/fipsld
FIPSLD_CC=/usr/bin/gcc
FIPSDIR=/usr/local/ssl/fips-2.0

for building fips canister
./config fipscanisterbuild no-asm
make
make install

using ./config fips no-asm
make
make install

This seemed to be pretty straight forward. I think i created the
fipscanister.o correctly. Everything compiled and linked for the canister. I
liked it to a small test app that worked.

I then tried to build openssl, it fine but on the last linking step the
linker just keep forking processes out of control on both OSs until i got a
message that the linker cannot fork any new processes. Any pointers would be
appreciated.

/home/myssluser/workspace/libs/openssl-fips-ecp-2.0.9/fips/fipsld: 174:
/home/myssluser/workspace/libs/openssl-fips-ecp-2.0.9/fips/fipsld: Cannot
fork
../Makefile.shared:164: recipe for target 'link_app.' failed
make[2]: *** [link_app.] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
'/home/myssluser/workspace/libs/openssl-1.0.2a/apps'
Makefile:153: recipe for target 'openssl' failed
make[1]: *** [openssl] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
'/home/myssluser/workspace/libs/openssl-1.0.2a/apps'
Makefile:285: recipe for target 'build_apps' failed
make: *** [build_apps] Error 1
mssluser at debian8:~/workspace/libs/openssl-1.0.2a$