[openssl-users] X509_STORE_free() and X509_LOOKUP_free() also frees the X509 certificates inside it

Thulasi Goriparthi thulasi.goriparthi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 12:35:44 UTC 2015

On 10 June 2015 at 16:47, Jakob Bohm <jb-openssl at wisemo.com> wrote:

>  On 10/06/2015 12:41, Thulasi Goriparthi wrote:
>
>   X509_STORE_add_cert increments the reference count of the each cert,
> but only by 1.
>
> Sounds like there should be X509_STORE_add0_cert() and
> X509_STORE_add1_cert() like for other parts of the library.
>
>  X509_STORE_free decrements the ref count by 1. So after decrementing, if
> ref_count is 0, certificate will be freed.
>
> Jakob is saying that if you want them to stay even after X509_STORE_free,
> explicitly increment the ref count before calling free using something like
> below.
>
>   Interesting!  I assumed (based on the standard
> refcounting paradigm) that the reference count of a
> new object would be 1, and that some API (perhaps
> X509_free()) would decrement and free if it hit 0.

Yes. You are correct.  STORE_free, just decrements the ref count and calls
X509_free.
X509_free in turn checks if ref count is only 1 (in reference to the one
incremented by new) before proceeding with free. If it is, it will
decrement ref_count and proceed to free.

>  CRYPTO_add(certificate->references, 1, CRYPTO_LOCK_X509);
>
>   Is there really no proper API wrapping this?

I couldn't find any right now. There is X509_OBJECT_up_ref_count() which
takes care of X509_OBJECT s. But that requires allocating  X509_OBJECT and
copying X509 over there.