[openssl-users] OpenSSL version 1.0.2b released

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Fri Jun 12 14:01:28 UTC 2015

On 11/06/2015 16:47, OpenSSL wrote:
Note: Why are OpenSSL releases still signed only with
MD5 and SHA1?

Even the gpg signature of the tarball is SHA1-based.

Why isn't there also a detached S/MIME / CMS signature
for the tarballs, preferably using a code/object
signingcertificate from someone like GlobalSign.
i.e. Something that can be verified with the command:

old-trusted-openssl smime -verify -inform PEM -in \
openssl-1.0.2b.tar.gz.sig -binary -content \
openssl-1.0.2b.tar.gz -out /dev/null -CAfile \
/etc/ssl/certificates/foo.pem

(add option "-purpose codesign" once implemented by
the users "old-trusted-openssl").

If old-trused-openssl is a recent version, a similar
"old-trused-openssl cms" command can also be used, but
verify compatibility with old copies should be maintained
for a few years (don't prevent upgrading openssl because
the users needs to upgrade openssl).

Enjoy

Jakob
--