[openssl-users] Windows Compile Fails

Thomas J. Hruska shinelight at shininglightpro.com
Fri Jun 19 02:55:56 UTC 2015

On 6/18/2015 4:46 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
> I'm new to building OpenSSL with Windows.  I'm trying to build OpenSSL
> 1.0.2c for Windows, but get a linking error
>
> tmp32dll\x86cpuid.obj : fatal error LNK1112: module machine type 'X86'
> conflicts with target machine type 'x64'
>
> I googled for this error, but the solutions mention changing parameters
> in the VC Studio project, but I'm building from the command line with
> nmake.
>
> I'm configuring for 32-bit (perl Configure VC-WIN32 ...).  I think the
> Windows system I'm compiling on is a 64-bit OS.  I know I have built
> 32-bit applications on it in the past from VC Studio.  Is there some
> obvious fix?
>
> Jay

What Command Prompt are you running?  You have to use the correct
"Native Tools" for the target hardware type.  If you are building
VC-WIN32, then you are targeting 32-bit hardware and need to run the x86
Native Tools Command Prompt (not the x64 version).  You can't mix and
match targets.

If you don't want to build it yourself, there are also prebuilt binaries
and libraries.

--
Thomas Hruska
Shining Light Productions