[openssl-users] How to disable all EXPORT Ciphers?

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Tue Mar 10 13:28:45 UTC 2015

Viktor's description agrees with Matthew Green's explanation.[1] The FREAK attack can work against non-patched OpenSSL clients even if they disable export-grade ciphers; in fact, that's precisely the problem.

The attack works like this:

1. Client sends ClientHello with a suite list that includes strong RSA suites.
2. MITM modifies ClientHello to request export-grade RSA.
3. If the server supports export-grade RSA, it replies with a 512-bit RSA key.
4. The client incorrectly accepts the short RSA key, even though it didn't ask for one. That's the bug.
5. Attacker factors the 512-bit RSA key. This relies on the second problem described by the FREAK authors: many servers (eg Apache) just generate one 512-bit RSA key pair at startup, and don't create a new one for each export-grade request, because it's expensive. So if you factor it once, you're good to break a whole bunch of sessions.

If you always control both ends of the conversation, and can disable the export suites on both, then you shouldn't be vulnerable. If you have to talk to third-party servers, though, you don't know which ones might be vulnerable. FREAK testing has revealed that an awful lot still support the export suites.

[1] http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2015/03/attack-of-week-freak-or-factoring-nsa.html