[openssl-users] Handling “OpenSSL internal error, assertion failed”

Tejaswini tejaswini.s2 at hp.com
Wed Mar 11 08:51:54 UTC 2015

When MD5 (or any non FIPS compliant) algorithm is used in FIPS mode, OpenSSL
gives following error and application aborts.

fips_md.c(146): OpenSSL internal error, assertion failed: Digest update
previous FIPS forbidden algorithm error ignored
Aborted (core dumped)

In our application we want to handle this error and gracefully exit by
logging appropriate error message.
For which, we are looking out for an OpenSSL API or mechanism which can say
whether the algorithm is FIPS compliant or not.
And would not like to have hard coded algorithm list to check if its FIPS
compliant or not.

Can anyone help me out on this.

Thanks!!