[openssl-users] FIPS mode uses /dev/urandom ?

Alberto Roman Linacero aroman at alienvault.com
Thu Mar 12 16:06:51 UTC 2015

Well... I'm just trying, for the test, to do something like:

debian:~/openssl# strace -xe trace=file,read,write,close
/usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl rand 10
[...]
open("/dev/urandom", O_RDONLY|O_NOCTTY|O_NONBLOCK) = 3
read(3, "\xa9\xea\xf3\x6e\x08\x14\xe7\xeb\x11\x9c\x72\x64\x69\x54\x0d\x96\x43\x34\x68\x25\xe3\x45\x8b\xe8\xe6\x36\xde\x9b\x33\x3a\x6a\xe2",
32) = 32
close(3)                                = 0

I know that it will have poor performance, and in fact I don't want to
do this... but we're going to pass SP800 56b and they are asking us to
use blocking to be sure that the entropy generated before the openssl
seed is enough (256 entropy bits).

My understanding of how OpenSSL seeds DRBGs is as follows:

When initialization function is called, first the non-approved
hash-based DRBG that is part of the baseline library is seeded. This
DRBG is seeded according to library's settings (in e_os.h DEVRANDOM),
and it defaults to /dev/urandom. After that approved FIPS-mode DRBG
with 256-bit AES-CTR is seeded by calling the bytes() method. This
way, output of the first non-approved DRBG is used to seed FIPS-mode
DRBG. This is why module settings (e_os.h DEVRANDOM) are ignored.

So, I'm not sure if I'm thinking it fine, or if I could change e_os.h
to do that and still being FIPS certified, or...

Alberto.