[openssl-users] base64 decode in C

Dave Thompson dthompson at prinpay.com
Wed Mar 18 11:34:41 UTC 2015

It returns pointer to a buffer containing the pubkey, but no indication of
the length. You don't show the caller, but if the caller tries to treat it as a
C string with strlen()fputs() etc that won't work because it isn't a C string.
A C string can't contain any zero-bits aka null byte, and SSH pubkey contains
many of them; it even starts with *three* consecutive nulls, which
makes it appear to be empty if treated as a C string.

Use the length returned from (successful) BIO_read (b64bio,...).

> This decodes fine.
> "dGhpcyBpcyBhd2Vzb21lCg=="  : "this is awesome"

Actually that decodes as "this is awesome" PLUS A NEWLINE, or in
C source notation "this is awesome\n". Yes that matters.