[openssl-users] [openssl-announce] Forthcoming OpenSSL releases

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Thu Mar 19 01:22:12 UTC 2015

Hello,

Here is a recipe to guide you through the reformatting.
It worked nicely for me. I wrote a small bash shell script
which helped me do the bulk conversion, see attachment
Hope you'll find this information helpful.

In following I briefly describe the steps how you can

 1) get your patches into git (if not yet done)
 2) do the reformatting of the commits in git, with the
    help of my script
 3) rebase your patches to the current release
 4) recreate the patches using 'git format-patch'

If your patches are already maintained in a git repository,
you may skip step 1)

1) If you only have patches, it's a good idea to get
your own clone of the git repository

   git clone git://git.openssl.org/openssl.git
   cd openssl

now create a branch off the vanilla release to
which your patches apply (say, OpenSSL 1.0.1k)

   git checkout -b mypatches OpenSSL_1_0_1k

apply your patches one after the other, creating
a single commit for each with meaningful commit
messages

  (If you don't know how to do this in git, you may
   want to see http://git-scm.com/doc)

2) Now we assume that
  a) you already have an OpenSSL git repository
  b) your patches are on a branch called 'mypatches',
     which were branched from one of the stable branches
	 before the reformatting (say OpenSSL_1_0_1-stable)
  c) your working copy is clean (no local changes or
     untracked files)
  d) you're running linux (if not, get yourself a Linux VM)

The attached script shows an example of how to automate
the procedure of reformatting every single commit on your
branch and recommitting it. It contains a lot of comments
to explain what it is doing. PLEASE READ THE COMMENTS
CAREFULLY BEFORE RUNNING THE SCRIPT!

You just have to set the two variables 'branch' and 'upstream'
at the beginning of the script (marked 'todo') to the name
of your branch and its upstream branch, respectively.

3) After the script has succeeded, you can rebase your
reformatted branch to the head of the stable branch (or
to the tag of the most recent release), e.g.

git checkout -b mypatches-reformatted mypatches-post-auto-reformat
git rebase OpenSSL_1_0_1-stable

4) Now you can have git recreate your patches automatically
with a single command:

git format-patch $(git merge-base HEAD OpenSSL_1_0_1-stable)..HEAD

[5) Now you can keep using the git repository to manage new patches.
	Due the rebasing capabilites of git, your patches will always
	be up to date ]

DISCLAIMER

The script is not 100% fool-proof, it's a demonstration
which may serve as a starting point for you.
In particular, there is no error recovery and no guarantee,
if there are any conflicts or errors in the middle of the
reformating procedure.

So you'll better try it on a copy of your git repository
first.