[openssl-users] Failure using ECDH-RSA-AES256-SHA with ssl3 on Master Branch

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Mon Mar 23 14:35:22 UTC 2015

On 23/03/15 14:19, Jakob Bohm wrote:
> On 23/03/2015 14:48, Matt Caswell wrote:

>>> I would expect that a client sending an *empty* list of supported
>>> curves means no curves are supported by the client, and the server
>>> would not enable EC.  The case where the server is free to choose
>>> any curve is presumably when the client does not send a supported
>>> curves extension at all.
>> It is not valid to send an empty list. If the client uses the extension
>> then they *must* set at least one curve. Therefore if the client list is
>> empty then it can only be because the extension was not used.
> Is sending an empty list technically impossible in the
> protocol, or just not currently permitted.

The extension is defined in RFC4492 as a list of NamedCurves with at
least one entry in that list:

        struct {
            NamedCurve elliptic_curve_list<1..2^16-1>
        } EllipticCurveList;

It would be technically feasible to send a zero length list (although
that would be in violation of the RFC). If a client did so then OpenSSL
would reject it with a decode error alert.