[openssl-users] FIPS Linux kernel documentation ?

John Foley foleyj at cisco.com
Thu Mar 26 15:30:57 UTC 2015

We looked at this very briefly a couple of years ago.  In theory, there
may be a way to achieve the goal as a loadable kernel module (a.k.a.
device driver).  The idea would be to have a kernel module that provides
crypto support.  This kernel module would be the FIPS object module,
with the FIPS boundary drawn around the kernel module.  This would be
loaded at run time like any other device driver when FIPS mode needed to
be enabled.

There is likely some kernel work required to allow the ciphers in the
kernel module to be injected into the crypto flow within the kernel.
The other issue is getting the kernel to automatically run the FIPS
integrity test on the module at load time.