[openssl-users] a question on SSL_MAX_BUF_FREELIST_LEN_DEFAULT

Jayalakshmi bhat bhat.jayalakshmi at gmail.com
Mon May 11 05:01:34 UTC 2015

Hi All,

We are using OpenSSL on a multihome device. Device has 4 interfaces. Each
network interface creates one SSL context (SSL_CTX)  and supports 16
connections. As per OpenSSL implementation Each SSL context can maintain a
free buffer list of 32. And this retained till SSL context (SSL_CTX) is
deleted.

I wanted to know is there any reason behind defining  #define
SSL_MAX_BUF_FREELIST_LEN_DEFAULT 32 . Can I reduce it to say 4 or some
smaller value.

Also can I use OpenSSL_malloc/OpenSSL_free instead of
freelist_extract/freelist_insert in
 ssl3_setup_read_buffer/ssl3_setup_write_buffer. Are there any side effects?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jayalakshmi