[openssl-users] upgrade system's OpenSSL and libs on Mac OS X 10.6.8

patpro at patpro.net patpro at patpro.net
Mon May 11 09:14:53 UTC 2015

On 11 mai 2015, at 07:43, Viktor Dukhovni <openssl-users at dukhovni.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 07:07:13AM +0200, Patrick Proniewski wrote:
>
>> I would like to upgrade openssl, libssl and libcrypto on my Mac OS X 10.6.8
>> system. The purpose is to allow system and softwares to use the new libs
>> (for example ssh, sshd, Mail...). Do you think it's possible?
>
> You can install OpenSSL from MacPorts or Homebrew, choose whichever
> you prefer.

Using MacPorts/Homebrew instead of manual install would allow /usr/bin/ssh (for example) to use /usr/local/openssl/lib/libcrypto.1.0.0.dylib instead of /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib ?

>> I can already install openssl and libs somewhere else (/usr/local), but
>> if possible I would like to replace those provided by the system.
>
> That would be a mistake.  It is best to not replace system libraries
> with incompatible upstream versions.

"how much" do you think it would be incompatible?
The more I think about it, the more I do agree with you, but I can't help thinking that's too bad I can't upgrade openssl+libs on my system.