[openssl-users] incorrect name of cipher suite

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Tue May 19 12:12:39 UTC 2015

On 19/05/15 12:54, Weichen Lin wrote:
> according https://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/ciphers.html
> the name of TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA is DHE-DSS-DES-CBC3-SHA
> but I found it's not working, and finally success with EDH-DSS-DES-CBC3-SHA
>
> I think it's typo on document, where can I report this?

It isn't a typo - the docs are correct.

DHE is the name that is commonly used practically everywhere for
ephemeral Diffie-Hellman. For historical reasons however within OpenSSL
it used to be called EDH. Starting from OpenSSL 1.0.2 both forms are
available, but the we refer to the standard DHE name in the docs.

Older versions of OpenSSL (before 1.0.2) still use EDH. The
documentation that accompanies those older versions also uses that form.

Currently we only make one version of the documentation available on the
website, i.e. the documentation for the current development version
1.1.0 (perhaps more useful would be 1.0.2 but that's a different
discussion). The docs are correct for that version.

For future referene though, the way to report defects (code or
documentation) is to send an email describing the problem to rt at openssl.org.