[openssl-users] How do I configure my Certification Authority to pay attention to Subject Alternate Names

John Lewis oflameo2 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 13:46:55 UTC 2015

I created a local certification authority  using this tutorial
https://www.debian-administration.org/article/284/Creating_and_Using_a_self_signed__SSL_Certificates_in_debian
and made a certification request using this tutorial and I use this
tutorial to learn how to make a request with a Subject Alternate Name.

I actually did manage to get lucky just now and I hypothesize that
running a command like this 'openssl ca -in ldap01.req -out
certs/new/ldap04.pem -extensions v3_req -config ./openssl.cnf' as
opposed to running a command like this 'openssl ca -in ldap01.req -out
certs/new/ldap04.pem  -config ./openssl.cnf' got my CA to create a cert
with subject alternate names. How do I add '-extensions v3_req' to my ca
configuration and have it be not be ignored?