[openssl-users] OpenSSL 1.0.2d X509_verify_cert function does not work as used to with chain of certificates

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Tue Nov 17 00:36:08 UTC 2015

At most one of CA-1 and CA-2 would be part of the chain from Baltimore
to the end cert.

However your end cert (apparently for hosted Sharepoint services) was
issued by a 3rd MSIT CA that was not provided.  If it wasn't provided to
the code either, the chain would not validate for that reason alone.

I also note that none of the certs in the chain contain any Authority
Information Access (AIA) extension (issuer certificate download URL and
OCSP URL) only a CRL URL extension, which wouldn't be normal MS practice
(Certificate revocation cannot be detected by some browsers that use
only OCSP and the automatic certificate download done by some Microsoft
Windows Security Support Providers (such as CredSSP) won't work).

Oh and you are not posting from an official Microsoft e-mail address either.

Something seems very odd here.

Enjoy

Jakob