[openssl-users] Does openssl server always choose highest TLS version offered?

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Wed Nov 18 14:50:27 UTC 2015

On 18/11/2015 00:25, Salz, Rich wrote:

> ØI have seen rumors (nothing reliable) that the TLS WG is proposing
> to disable a whole lot of good cipher suites in TLS 1.3.
>
> Well, it’s pretty easy to verify.  Look at the IETF TLS-WG web page,
> and get a pointer to the current draft doc.
>
> Yes, TLS removes non-AEAD ciphers, and has only PFS key exchange.

What I have seen of AEAD ciphers, they tend to be designed
right "at the margin" in terms of security, compared to
traditional combinations of one MAC algorithm with a
different encryption algorithm, where the different
algorithms tend to protect each other against many attacks.

The recent NSA notes on post-suite B and quantum-resistant
algorithms reminds us that all of the PFS key exchanges (DH
and ECDH) available are vulnerable to decryption of
wiretapped (recorded) transmissions once a real quantum
computer is built by anyone.  So are the other public key
exchange algorithms in TLS, but not the PSK algorithms
without PFS.

Enjoy

Jakob