[openssl-users] [openssl-dev] Removing obsolete crypto from OpenSSL 1.1 - seeking feedback

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Mon Nov 23 18:09:08 UTC 2015

But they care very much if Cisco AnyConnect (or any other
OpenSSL using program they may need) stops working or
becomes insecure because the OpenSSL team is breaking
stuff just because it is not needed in their own handful
of example uses.

And while ordinary people may not know or care, they will
be deeply affected by the increase in undiscovered
vulnerabilities if the white hat research community stops
supporting OpenSSL by researching its code more deeply
than any other crypto library.  It is already bad enough
that no code review made before the giant reformat
provides much insight into the current code, because it
is virtually impossible to independently review the mega-
patch that mixed reformatting and actual code changes.

Fundamentally, appealing to what "ordinary users" care
about in the way you just did is an appeal to stupidity.
Ordinary users don't know how the innards of OpenSSL
affect their lives, as was so clearly seen when the first
a lot of them heard about OpenSSL was Heartbleed and the
resulting "gut reactions" was to say that OpenSSL must be
a fundamentally bad thing (spurred along by mass media
describing Heartbleed as a "virus").  Or think about all
the people confusing the Android stagefreight multimedia
library with the recently discovered vulnerabilities in
that same library.

Note that I am not saying ordinary users are stupid,
they just don't know a lot of things about our
profession, as they don't know much about each others
professions either.  This is the fundamental principle
of specialization ever since the concept of professions
was invented millennia ago.

Enjoy

Jakob