[openssl-users] Better understanding of EC encryption API

Jan Danielsson jan.m.danielsson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 22:26:08 UTC 2015

On 26/11/15 20:18, Matt Loah wrote:
> While the public key in the context of OpenSSL Elliptic Curves algorithm is
> stored as a EC_POINT pointer... and the private key as a BIGNUM pointer...
> which functions (or which kind of them) should be called to encrypt & to
> decrypt a message in C/C++ ?

   OpenSSL doesn't support it out of the box.  What you're looking for
is something akin to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Encryption_Scheme.

   Ladar Levison has written an implementation which uses OpenSSL as a
backend.  I tried finding it for you, but my connection (mobile, on
train) is so bad that I couldn't be bothered to keep trying.

   If you google for it I'm sure you'll find it pretty easily.  If you
can't find it -- it's not difficult to do it from scratch using that
wikipedia page and the OpenSSL reference manuals.

   /Jan