[openssl-users] Thoughts about security, privacy, ...

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat Oct 31 12:01:00 UTC 2015

Walter H. wrote:
> On 30.10.2015 21:42, Michael Ströder wrote:
>> Walter H. wrote:

>>> this is not a problem as long as the public keys (the certificates) are
>>> not really public;
>>> because in your example Eve doesn't have the knowledge which certificate
>>> the specific serial number has ...
>>>
>>> if the public keys (the certificates) are searchable by public - the worst
>>> case direct by a search engine like google - then you would get an
>>> absolute security whole:
>> Update for you: https://crt.sh/
>>
> you know the difference between SSL and S/MIME?

I know the difference very well - probably even longer than you.

Note:
1. Google's certificate transparency project is not limited to certain
certificate types.
2. Privacy concerns are raised because of browsers validating server certs via
OCSP during TLS connect.

=> OCSP should be feasible over TLS in the spirit of RFC 7258.

Ciao, Michael.