[openssl-users] Are double-quotes valid characters in certifcates/keys?

Ajay Garg ajaygargnsit at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 16:53:55 UTC 2016

Hi All.

Thanks for the help.

The certificate is a ".crt.pem".
Key is a ".key".

Anyhow, earlier I was thinking of saving the certificate+key in a
file, where double-quotes were delimiters.
But, I have rejected that idea; instead saving them in their respective files :)

So, the question becomes obsolete.

Anyhow, I am thanks (and sorry at the same time) for everyone's time.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 8:56 PM, Viktor Dukhovni
<openssl-users at dukhovni.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:01:33AM +0530, Ajay Garg wrote:
>
> [ Subject: Are double-quotes valid characters in certifcates/keys? ]
>
>> Could not find a definitive answer on google, so thought it would be
>> best to ask the experts :)
>
> The question is ill-formed.  Are you asking about allowed characters
> in some field of the underlying canonical ASN.1 DER form of a
> certificate, or about some particular encoding of the certificate
> (e.g. PEM)?
>
> If the former, X.509v3 certificates are complicated objects, which
> part of the certificate are you asking about?
>
> As for keys, in their ASN.1 DER encoding they are "binary" data,
> and all octets are a priori valid in a public key.  A public key
> algorithm that prohibits 0x22 seems unlikely.
>
> --
>         Viktor.
> --

Regards,