[openssl-users] Spam and posting controls

Johann v. Preußen jvp at forthepolls.org
Wed Apr 20 06:55:53 UTC 2016

Mr. Salz:

despite mr dukhovni's assertion that spam is not a problem and that people that
are concerned about it are a problem, i contend that the seeming laxness of list
controls is the core problem and spam is just an indicating vector. to wit:

'/List membership is not public/' which may be true until someone busts into the
list and become privy to all of the personal data of posters. such intrusions
will continue until someone addresses these breeches for what they are: security
lapses.

'/Only members can post to the list/' is obviously not true when the same party
which has prompted this thread posted to the list twice in a short time-frame
(and this has happened before) from IP's without rDNS, from a bogus
email/domain, and via an unknown MTA. these glitches can be easily caught in
postfix when it is set up with a pretty minimalist approach to security.

my comment re aliases goes to the concern that a list that is all about
HTTP/SMTP security and identity surety is freely dispersing so much personally
identifiable subscriber information (PII) that is of such a high order of
sensitivity that it is protected under U.S. Title XIII with parallel Canadian
codes, even more stringent EU reg's such as 'Directive 95/46/EC' and the
newly-enacted 'General Data Protection Regulation' ('GDPR'), and some EU Member
regulations with stronger protections than those embodied in 95/46/EC (such as
Nederland 'Wet bescherming persoonsgegevens' and UK 'Data Protection Act'
amongst others).

in reality, openssl has no choice but to eventually comply with GDPR which would
prohibit what is currently being done. so, it would be best to just get on with
adapting all openssl systems to meet higher ethical and regulatory standards
before they are embarrassingly imposed or, much worse, be shown to have operated
in such a way that system breeches at subscriber firms could be traced back to
openssl.

Thank you,

Johann v. Preußen