[openssl-users] BIO_read hangs, how can I know if the server wants to send data?

Hanno Böck hanno at hboeck.de
Tue Apr 26 16:12:43 UTC 2016

Thanks for both your answers, that was very helpful (although it
probably means what I'm trying to do is more complicated than I
thought)...

One more question you might be able to answer:
When I run my test code and connect to google.com I get the following
bytes read for each BIO_read call:
1024
365
289

When I run these against my own server (relatively standard
apache2.4+openssl setup) I get very different numbers:
240
287
2
588
2
41
2
115
2
12
2
110
2
69
2
20
2
6
2
34
2
17
2
12
2
37
2
290
2
6
5

Why is this so much more split up? And to what correspond these
BIO_read chunks on the protocol level? Are these TLS records? TCP
packets? Is there something horribly wrong with my server config
because it splits them up in so many small parts?

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno at hboeck.de