[openssl-users] BIO_read hangs, how can I know if the server wants to send data?

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Tue Apr 26 16:23:49 UTC 2016

On 26/04/16 17:12, Hanno Böck wrote:
> Why is this so much more split up? And to what correspond these
> BIO_read chunks on the protocol level? Are these TLS records? TCP
> packets? Is there something horribly wrong with my server config
> because it splits them up in so many small parts?

Odd. OpenSSL should read and process whole records in one go. As long as
the size that you pass to BIO_read is bigger than the record size you
should get passed back to your code a whole record in one go.

You might want to do a wireshark capture and see what app data record
sizes are being passed back.