[openssl-users] Apache inefficient chunking [was: BIO_read hangs, how can I know if the server wants to send data?]

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Wed Apr 27 05:08:00 UTC 2016

On 26/04/2016 19:47, Hanno Böck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 16:58:48 +0000
> Michael Wojcik <Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com> wrote:
>
>> But, again, this is just a performance and efficiency hit - it won't
>> break anything - and if it's on the Apache side, there probably isn't
>> much you can do about it. Maybe it's tunable in the Apache
>> configuration but it seems like an odd thing to make configurable,
>> and even odder to make wrong by default.
> First of all: Before you continue speculating, my server is not doing
> anything secret, just connect to it :-) (the one behind hboeck.de)
>
> It's definitely chunking, if I manually connect via openssl s_client I
> can see.
>
> The reason is (as Rainer pointed out in a private mail) server side
> includes used in the error pages. So it seems Apache's server side
> includes implementation causes lots of small chunks.
>
> This essentially means my error pages are serverd horribly inefficient.
> However I think that doesn't matter too much, as they should only be
> served on errors and errors should be hopefully scarce. This does not
> happen with static content. Also with PHP content I still get chunked
> encoding, but not these many small chunks.
>
> I think we're getting pretty far away from openssl, so I hope nobody is
> annoyed by offtopic discussion (and I think we can close it here), just
> as people were speculating and it seemed to have generated quite
> some interest I wanted to give a final answer what the cause was.

We are not getting that far off topic as this is also the
mailing list for the Apache mod_ssl module, which seems to
be closely involved with this inefficient behavior.

One could of cause speculate if the missing coalescing of
SSL records is a bug in mod_ssl or in some other part of
Apache httpd.

Enjoy

Jakob