[openssl-users] Recommended sequence for FIPS_mode_set(), RAND_load_file() and SSL_library_init()

pratyush parimal pratyush.parimal at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 04:09:23 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm writing an application which can operate in FIPS mode, for which I'm
calling FIPS_mode_set().
At one point, I'm also seeding the PRNG using RAND_load_file() so I can
generate random bytes later.

What I'm unsure about is that for FIPS mode operation, am I required to do
the seeding after calling FIPS_mode_set() or is it OK for me to call it
before as well?

Also, what about the calls to initialization functions like
SSL_library_init() ?

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me understand the proper
sequence of these function calls from a FIPS 140-2 compliance perspective.

Thanks in advance!
Pratyush