[openssl-users] OpenSSL version 1.1.0 pre release 6 published

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Fri Aug 5 02:51:09 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 05, 2016 at 04:33:25AM +0200, Jakob Bohm wrote:

> I haven't read that proposal, but if the HTTPS server has to use the
> same host name as the SMTPS server, then the SMTPS server could just
> use the certificate directly.

There is at best a very tenuous analogy between TLS for HTTP and TLS
for SMTP.  So your suggestions miss the mark, unfortunately. :-(

First and forement TLS in SMTP is opportunistic, and compounding
that the destination hosts are discovered indirectly via MX records.
For a more detailed exposition, see:

[ Or just take my word for it, you are likely busy enough with
  other things that I know very little about. ]

--
	Viktor.