[openssl-users] EVP_SealInit question

Dr. Stephen Henson steve at openssl.org
Tue Aug 16 00:31:43 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016, Norm Green wrote:

> Ok, thanks.
>
> What I don't understand is what key transport has to do with
> EV_SealInit() ?  Why is key transport important here ?

Because EVP_SealInit() generates a random symmetric key and encrypts it using
one or more public keys. For this to work the public key algorithm has to
support encryption of the symmetric key using a public key aka key transport.

Of the public key algorithms OpenSSL currently implements only RSA has that
operation.

Steve.