[openssl-users] EVP_SealInit question

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Tue Aug 16 02:34:09 UTC 2016

There are (generally) 3 kinds of asymmetric cryptographic algorithms:

1. Signature algorithms, such as DSS, ECDSS, Ed255, and 3 modes of the
RSA algorithm.

2. Key exchange/generation algorithms such as DH, ECDH and SRP.

3. Key encryption algorithms, such as 2 other modes of the RSA algorithm.

EVP_SealInit() is a function to invoke key encryption algorithms with a
brand new random key.

On 16/08/2016 02:38, Norm Green wrote:
> Sorry, I'm still not quite getting it.
>
> It sounds like you're saying that only RSA supports encrypting with a
> public key.  But can't any asymmetric encryption algorithm encrypt
> using the public key?  Why is RSA special in this regard?
>
> Norm Green
>
> On 8/15/2016 5:31 PM, Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016, Norm Green wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, thanks.
>>>
>>> What I don't understand is what key transport has to do with
>>> EV_SealInit() ?  Why is key transport important here ?
>>>
>> Because EVP_SealInit() generates a random symmetric key and encrypts
>> it using
>> one or more public keys. For this to work the public key algorithm
>> has to
>> support encryption of the symmetric key using a public key aka key
>> transport.
>>
>> Of the public key algorithms OpenSSL currently implements only RSA
>> has that
>> operation.

Enjoy

Jakob