[openssl-users] Unhandled exception at 0x005904dc (libeay32.dll) (Windows x86)

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Fri Aug 26 04:21:47 UTC 2016

On 26/08/2016 05:42, Scott Ware wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Jakob Bohm <jb-openssl at wisemo.com>
> wrote:
>> On 22/08/2016 22:33, Scott Ware wrote:
>>> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 3:04 PM, Jakob Bohm <jb-openssl at wisemo.com
>>> <mailto:jb-openssl at wisemo.com>>wrote: On 22/08/2016 20:09, Scott
>>> Ware wrote: We use libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll from
>>> https://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.htmlin
>>> <https://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.htmlin>our applications
>>> and we recently moved from version 1.0.2a to 1.0.2g and now on a few
>>> machines running a AMD Geode processor we are getting "Unhandled
>>> exception at 0x005904dc (libeay32.dll) in Test.exe: 0xC000001D:
>>> Illegal Instruction". We ended up building OpennSSL so we could
>>> debug into it and found it is failing on "movsd xmm0,mmword" (see
>>> below) which the AMD Geode does not seem to support. I have tried
>>> "SET OPENSSL_ia32cap=~0x1000000", "SET OPENSSL_ia32cap=~0x2000000",
>>> and "SET OPENSSL_ia32cap=~0x7000000"; and nothing seems to change. I
>>> may not be using OPENSSL_ia32cap correctly. This happens when
>>> calling SSL_CTX_new which then calls RAND_add. Any ideas on the best
>>> thing to do? We don't want to have to manage different compiled
>>> versions of libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll if we can help it. Your
>>> disassembly looks like the C compiler was invoked with options that
>>> caused regular C floating point code (in this case, the passing of
>>> 45.0 as an argument to RAND_add()) to be compiled into MMX/SSE
>>> instructions instead of backwards compatible 80x87 floating point
>>> instructions or (for simple cases like this) regular integer unit
>>> data movement instructions (such as two pushes of 32 bit constants
>>> that contain the halves of the 64 bit double constant, which would
>>> have been more efficient on every x86 CPU). Did the build scripts or
>>> other source code contain any differences from the official source
>>> code that can be downloaded from openssl.org <http://openssl.org>?
>>> How did you invoke the build scripts (command sequence, special
>>> build environment, special environment variables etc.)? Which
>>> compiler and compiler version/edition did you use? It would be
>>> interesting to know if one of the common Windows compilers does this
>>> unconditionally, making it unsuitable for use in programs that need
>>> to be backwards compatible. I compiled using this process and seem
>>> to be getting the same result as the .dll I downloaded from
>>> slproweb.com <http://slproweb.com> I downloaded the 1.0.2g source
>>> from openssl.com <http://openssl.com>and didn't change anything.
>>> From the "Developer Command Promt for VS2013" perl Configure
>>> debug-VC-WIN32 no-asm --prefix=C:\OpenSSL-VC-32-dbg ms\do_ms nmake
>>> -f ms\ntdll.mak nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak install
>> According to the following page
>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7t5yh4fd%28v=vs.120%29.aspx
>> Visual Studio 2012 and later requires the following compiler option
>> to generate code compatible with older CPUs (this is the default in
> [...]
Bad on them, those of us that have seen this kind of hardware
all know that Geode CPUs use very very little power compared
to modern Intel CPUs, less even than most of Intel's "Atom"
CPUs.

I have a Geode SC1100 based server running 24/7 at 266MHz
using less than about 7W peak with no heatsink.  Even a
real 486DX @33MHz couldn't do that.  This server actually
replaced a 486DX @33MHz to save power and was not upgraded
to a more power hungry successor product based on an Atom.

This is clearly a compiler misfeature in the VS2012+ compiler,
which assumes by default the compiled binaries will only be
used on desktop or higher class CPUs that can run Windows 8,
not on pared down CPUs that are designed for power saving
embedded Windows.

But anyway, just doing your own scripted builds instead of
waiting for Shining Light should be just fine.

P.S.

Instead of editing the generated .mak files, you may just
be able to pass the -arch:IA32 option to "perl Configure",
but test it first.  If it works, it would make it a lot
easier to script the whole process in a batch file or two
as part of your product build.

Enjoy

Jakob