[openssl-users] Question about stateOrProvince

Tim Boring tjboring at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 01:28:19 UTC 2016

When creating a CSR, openssl displays the following

<quote>
State or Province Name (full name) [Some-State]:
</quote>

But, I can't find anywhere in the OpenSSL codebase that validates that the
input is indeed a "full name"--e.g., that the input is "New York" instead
of "NY".

I've done this search in Github:
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=state%2Fprovince&type=Code

After looking through the code, I stumbed across the "ub_locality_name"
size limit:
https://goo.gl/zAUe9w

And a couple lines up from that is a comment pointing to RFC 3280
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3280.txt>, which defines the following:

<quote>

id-at-stateOrProvinceName AttributeType ::= { id-at 8 }

X520StateOrProvinceName ::= CHOICE {
      teletexString     TeletexString   (SIZE (1..ub-state-name)),
      printableString   PrintableString (SIZE (1..ub-state-name)),
      universalString   UniversalString (SIZE (1..ub-state-name)),
      utf8String        UTF8String      (SIZE (1..ub-state-name)),
      bmpString         BMPString       (SIZE(1..ub-state-name)) }

ub-state-name INTEGER ::= 128

</quote>

I'm curious about this because the openssl command will create a CSR where
stateOrProvince has a two-character (U.S.) state name, and (at least one)
CA (Comodo) will happily issue a cert using such a CSR.

Is there any issue with a cert generated using such a CSR? Should the
openssl command validate stateOrProvince? If not, then maybe it's just a
matter of changing the prompt (I'm happy to submit a PR for such a minor
change).

Thanks,
Tim