[openssl-users] Openssl connects with Des-Cbc-sha in tls1. 2

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Thu Dec 1 12:26:09 UTC 2016

On 01/12/2016 08:49, vishnu raju wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am getting connection success in a tls1.2 connection with
> Des-Cbc-sha cipher.  But upto my knowledge this cipher is depreciated
> on tls1.2.
> Thanks for your help.

It is not disabled, just scheduled for future disabling as far
as the TLS 1.2 standard/RFC is concerned.

In OpenSSL its use is controlled by the "cipher list" setting,
which is a runtime setting made by the client and server software.

For single-DES (not triple DES), this would indicate that both ends
are configured insecurely since single DES has been considered weak
almost since the invention of SSL/TLS.

For Triple-DES (DES3), some recent OpenSSL versions reclassified it
to a lower grade because of the well-known (since the beginning)
danger of encrypting too much data with a single key, a danger that
was recently highlighted under the name SWEET32.  Triple DES can
be enabled or disabled via an appropriate "cipher list" setting
regardless of OpenSSL version.

Enjoy

Jakob