[openssl-users] General approach for keeping a client cert from openssl

Kyle Hamilton aerowolf at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 18:21:08 UTC 2016

You cannot keep the certificate from OpenSSL, as that's the piece that you
share with the remote side.  This contains the public key, and the
information bound to that public key by the CA.

However, you can keep the private key from being seen by OpenSSL.  There
exists what is called an ENGINE interface to offload cryptographic
operations to a container.  Right now,
https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Creating_an_OpenSSL_Engine_to_use_indigenous_ECDH_ECDSA_and_HASH_Algorithms
seems to be the best documentation available to explain the process of
creating it.  Obviously, depending on the type of key you're using, you
will probably need to figure out the differences.

-Kyle H