[openssl-users] error when linking with OpenSSL library dynamically

Martin Vegter martin.vegter9 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 09:18:34 UTC 2016

On 1 February 2016 at 22:45, Viktor Dukhovni <openssl-users at dukhovni.org> wrote:

> You're using internal function names that are not exported by the
> libcrypto shared library on Debian systems.  Use the EVP interface.
>
> In future versions of OpenSSL constrained visibility of shared
> library symbols will be extended to more platforms (than just Debian
> where the export list was created by the Debian package maintainer).
>
> The EVP interface is faster on many systems (supports AES-NI on
> suitably capable Intel CPUs) and also safer (avoids timing
> side-channels).

thanks Viktor,
but what if (for reasons beyond this discussion) I wish to use the low
level internal aesni_* functions?

Would I have to compile libssl-dev myself ?

It looks to me as if Debian was trying to protect me from myself.
Can't I play with the internal functions ? I don't mind loosing
compatibility on non-AES-NI processors.