[openssl-users] Strange problem with 1.0.2f SSL_shutdown in multithreaded server

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Tue Feb 2 11:24:01 UTC 2016

On 02/02/2016 11:40, Matt Caswell wrote:
> On 02/02/16 07:52, Jakob Bohm wrote:
>> I am trying to upgrade an existing 3rd party multithreaded server
>> from OpenSSL 1.0.2c to 1.0.2f .  However when I do so, it starts
>> mishandling the close_notify "alert".
>>
>> 1.0.2f seems to send the close_notify alert unencrypted followed
>> by an encrypted decrypt_failed alert, where 1.0.2c correctly
>> sends just an encrypted close_notify alert.
>>
>> I am unsure if this exposed a bug in the daemon or in OpenSSL
>> itself.
> I have a theory.
>
> Previous versions of 1.0.2 handled an SSL_shutdown() call while in the
> middle of a handshake by ignoring it and returning 1 immediately
> (meaning everything shutdown successfully). Clearly everything did not
> shutdown successfully so the return value is not correct.
No, actual application data (just a few bytes) was sent in each
direction.

Specifically, some bytes were sent client to server, then a reply
was sent server to client and the connection was closed.

Also, the s_client output showed a completed handshake, with
ChangeCipherSpec in both directions and dump of certificate
chain before the first application data was sent (client to
server, then server to client).

The s_client command line was

cat data | openssl s_client -connect xx.xx.xx.xx:xxxx -msg -tls1
-ign_eof -debug

However I cannot rule out that the changes to either SSL_shutdown()
or the rearranged error checking code triggered the issue.

Enjoy

Jakob