[openssl-users] FIPS building scripts does NOT work for iOS >=7

Steve Marquess marquess at openssl.com
Thu Feb 4 22:35:41 UTC 2016

On 02/04/2016 05:31 PM, Steve Marquess wrote:
> On 02/04/2016 03:19 PM, Yang Hong wrote:
>> Hello folks.
>>

>> I follow the latest User Guide 2.0 to build iOS the FIPS Object Module
>> and FIPS Capable library for iOS devices (*/E.2 Apple iOS Support /*page
>> 131)
>>

>> https://www.openssl.org/docs/fips/UserGuide-2.0.pdf
>>

>> I got two errors below.

> No iOS 7 or greater platforms have been tested yet, so this is no
> surprise. The FIPS 140-2 validation won't apply for untested versions of
> iOS anyway.
>
> If/when we test more iOS versions we'll make changes as appropriate.

... and I spoke (typed) too fast. The User Guide discussion of iOS is
way out of date. You'll find some relevant info for iOS 7.1, and 8.1 at:

  http://openssl.com/testing/validation-2.0/platforms/ios-7.1/
  http://openssl.com/testing/validation-2.0/platforms/ios-8.1/

I'll get around to updating the User Guide one of these days...

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Validation Services, Inc.