[openssl-users] Building OpenSSL: OpenSSL-Release Permission denied

Rob Hermann rhermann at centurioncares.com
Mon Feb 29 14:08:40 UTC 2016

In my linux-elf environment,   I'm running as su and I have a permission
denied problem during my build:

[root at rhlinuxdev OpenSSLWork]# ant OpenSSL-Release
Buildfile: build.xml
      [echo] CVIS root: /home/rhermann/artifacts/Lib_Work/CVIS

OpenSSL-config:

OpenSSL-generate:

vsvars32:

OpenSSL-Release:
      [exec] making all in crypto...
      [exec] make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/rhermann/src/OpenSSLWork/crypto'
      [exec] /usr/bin/perl ../util/mkbuildinf.pl "gcc -I. -I..
-I../include  -DOPENSSL_THREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H
-Wa,--noexecstack -DL_ENDIAN -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall
-DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_PART_WORDS -DOPENSSL_IA32_SSE2 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT
-DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_GF2m -DSHA1_ASM -DSHA256_ASM -DSHA512_ASM -DMD5_ASM
-DRMD160_ASM -DAES_ASM -DVPAES_ASM -DWHIRLPOOL_ASM -DGHASH_ASM"
"linux-elf" >buildinf.h
      [exec] making all in crypto/objects...
      [exec] make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/rhermann/src/OpenSSLWork/crypto/objects'
      [exec] make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
      [exec] make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/rhermann/src/OpenSSLWork/crypto/objects'
      [exec] making all in crypto/md4...
      [exec] make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/rhermann/src/OpenSSLWork/crypto/md4'
      [exec] make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
      [exec] make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/rhermann/src/OpenSSLWork/crypto/md4'
      [exec] making all in crypto/md5...

  ..........................   no problems during the build except when
I get to this point:

     [exec] testing...
      [exec] make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/rhermann/src/OpenSSLWork/test'
      [exec] make[2]: Entering directory `/home/rhermann/src/OpenSSLWork'
      [exec] making all in apps...
      [exec] make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/rhermann/src/OpenSSLWork/apps'
      [exec] make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
      [exec] make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/rhermann/src/OpenSSLWork/apps'
      [exec] make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rhermann/src/OpenSSLWork'
      [exec] ../util/shlib_wrap.sh ./destest
      [exec] make[1]: execvp: ../util/shlib_wrap.sh: Permission denied
      [exec] make[1]: *** [test_des] Error 127
      [exec] make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/rhermann/src/OpenSSLWork/test'
      [exec] make: *** [tests] Error 2

    the ../util/shlib_wrap.sh script is invoked from many places.   Can
some tell me what the build is trying to accomplish at this point ?  Is
it trying to run a unit test ??

--
*Rob Hermann *
Senior Software Engineer

rhermann at centurioncares.com
www.centurioncares.com <http://www.centurioncares.com>

*Confidentiality Statement
* This email and/or any attached files are intended solely for the
individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received
this message in error, please notify us by sending a reply email to the
sender and remove this message and any associated attachments from your
computer system(s). Unauthorized use, distribution, or disclosure of
such messages may be a violation of the law. Centurion would like to
remind you to refrain from sending private or personal information, such
as account numbers, social security numbers, passwords, or any other
confidential financial, credit card or business information via email or
email attachments. For your security, you are encouraged to contact us
via phone with any sensitive information rather than use email.

--
*Rob Hermann *
Senior Software Engineer