[openssl-users] What version of OpenSSL source can be built with FIPS modules?

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Tue Jan 19 19:56:07 UTC 2016

If, as I suspect, the Ubuntu and Debian OpenSSL packages
share the packaging work and patches, then the situation
is a bit different.

At least for Debian, the OpenSSL packages:

- Freeze the visible patch level letter at whatever it
  was on some freeze date prior to release (for instance
  it may say "1.0.1e")

- Include backports of all relevant security patches in
  Debian packages versioned e.g. 1.0.1e-2+deb7u18 (meaning
  the 18th patch release since version 2 of the 1.0.1e
  packaging was included in Debian 7.0).

- Include additional patches to do "symbol versioning"
  wherever the 1.0.x libraries contain ABI differences
  that would otherwise break running software compiled
  to run against shared libraries built from the 1.0.0
  tree against shared libraries compiled from the 1.0.1
  tree (etc.).  Basically, they fix bugs in the binary
  compatibility within the 1.0.x upstream releases.

- An unknown number of truly custom patches, one of
  which used to accidentally criple key generation so
  badly they were actually able to release a blacklist
  of all the public keys it could possibly generate
  (after they found the bug).

Enjoy

Jakob