[openssl-users] Openssl software failure for RSA 16K modulus

Erwann Abalea Erwann.Abalea at docusign.com
Thu Jul 21 13:51:47 UTC 2016

> Le 21 juil. 2016 à 15:08, Salz, Rich <rsalz at akamai.com> a écrit :
>
>> By raising the limit, you don’t suddenly put every application at risk of a DoS,
>> because these applications won’t suddenly use a 16k RSA key.
>
> Yes we do, because the other side could send a key, not local config.

Server A code is modified to accept client key exchange messages up to 4kB.
Server A is configured with a 2048bits RSA key.

Client A connects to Server A, initiates the TLS handshake, receives the certificate, properly generates a 2048bits client key exchange message (using RSA key exchange), sends the message (about 260 octets); Server A accepts it and will do the job.

Client B connects to Server A, initiates the TLS handshake, receives the certificate, but for whatever reason decides to send a client key exchange message composed of what could be a 16kb RSA block (about 2056 bytes); Server A will accept the message, but will refuse to perform the RSA decryption (because it’s larger than the modulus length).

I don’t see where the harm can hide. There’s no more CPU eaten, network transfer has already happened at this moment, memory is already allocated.

Again, I’m not saying using a 16kRSA key is a good idea. It’s not a good idea, one should really consider ECC instead (both for performance and network reasons). But keeping this 2048 bytes limit is not a security decision. It’s the result of a trade-off choice, right. And that doesn't make it a bad decision either.