[openssl-users] [ANN] M2Crypto 0.25.0

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Fri Jul 22 13:32:36 UTC 2016

Hi, everybody,

after trials and tribulations I have the honor to announce new release
of M2Crypto 0.25.0. This is an intermediary version on our way towards
port to python 3 (or rather to the bi-versional state of both py2k and
py3k compatibility). Particularly we have made these achievements (whole
changelog since 0.21.1 follows, because I am not sure whether previous
changes were properly announced).

Of course any help on python3 porting branch
(https://gitlab.com/m2crypto/m2crypto/merge_requests/65) is very welcome!

Happy security hacking!

Matěj

https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

Do not long for the night, when people vanish in their place.
Be careful, do not turn to evil; for you have preferred this to
affliction.
      -- Job 36:20f (NASB)

0.25.0 - 2016-03-21
-------------------
- More cleanups, removal of obsolete stuff, and moves towards py3k
  compatibility.
- Add support for EC.get_builtin_curves() and use it for testing.
- Enable AES CTR mode
- Bundle-in six module v. 1.10.0
- add rand_file_name and rand_status
- remove all LHASH fiddling
- Extend Travis and GitLab CI configuration to test also py3k (with
  allowed_failures) and CentOS6 (on GitLab CI).
- Add CONTRIBUTORS.rst. Thank you!
- Add PEP-484 type hints in comments to all Python files (except for
  tests)
- Use context managers for file handling wherever possible instead of
  leaking open file descriptors.
- Improve defaults handling for SSL_CTX_new().
- Fix PGP tests to actually run

0.24.0 - 2016-03-21
-------------------
- More cleanups, removal of obsolete stuff, and moves towards py3k
  compatibility.
- Add DSA.pub_key_from_params() factory function (and m2.dsa_set_pub()).
- Allow import/export of EC public key with binary values
- Add EVP.load_key_string_pubkey() function, as well as helper functions
- Add EVP.get_digestbyname() functionality.
- Convert documentation to rST (and add instructions for building on Mac
  OS X)
- Another round of fixing multiarch building.
- Disable tests with weak ciphers on some platforms (Debain)

0.23.0 - 2016-01-29
-------------------
- Add Travis and GitLab CI configurations
- Allow building without SSLv2
- More cleanups and removing obsolete code
- Fix README
- Fix buffer overflow in pkcs5_pbkdf2_hmac_sha1
- First moves towards Python 3 compatibility
- Removed rather large and completely unmaintained demo/ subdirectory
  (now in a separate repo https://gitlab.com/m2crypto/m2crypto_demo)
- Automatically generated test data files
- Finally fix building on multiarch systems
- All objects derived from BIO.BIO now could work as context managers
- Switch setup.py to setuptools

0.22.5 - 2015-10-13
-------------------
- Add forgoteen SWIG/*.h among distributed files.

0.22.4 - 2015-10-13
-------------------
- Matěj Cepl takes over leadership of the upstream maintenance
- Fedora/RHEL distribution patches merged to the main development
  (mainly, but not only, upgrading to the more recent versions of
  OpenSSL, swig which is now at 3.0.5, but anything above 2.0.4 is
  supported as well, and python which now has to be at least 2.6).
- Tons of cleaning up the code for obsolete constructs, PEP8ization,
  etc.

0.22.3 - 2014-01-22
(released by Martin Paljak, later development started on top of 0.21.1
with his improvements cherry picked to the new development branch)

0.21.1 - 2011-01-15
- Distribution fix